Saturday, January 26, 2013

Rules a-plenty

Have you ever noticed in each family how there are rules, and then there are "rules?"

What do I mean?  Well, let me tell you.  In my family, there are those rules (and I am sure they are rules in most families) of when to be home at night, where you can go, when your friends can come over and many other rules which are universal, and pretty straight forward.  But then there are the other rules... the ones which are unwritten.  Kind of expected.  The "social norm", if you will, in each family.

What are these mysterious "rules" I speak of?  Well, let me give you an idea.  Say the TV is on.  Who gets the remote?  There is no written rule which says who gets it and when.  In my family, it is kind of more on the terms of first come first serve.  Though sometimes, I feel there was some need for SKILLS which come out on a rare occasion.  Then, when it seems as if you have finally conquered the remote and have won it, mom or dad show up and THEY get the remote.  After all of my hard work.  Everyone knows that mom and dad get the remote before anyone else.  But in the end it is always dad who gets it, and we know how that GOES.

So anyways, this week in my lovely family relations class, we went over the wide variety of  these "unwritten rules" of the family that every family member knows. It seems that they go unsaid and everyone knows them, that is until someone comes over to visit and break one that you sometimes didn't even know existed (Like certain sitting arrangement for dinner). It was fun discussing them.  Some were pretty entertaining.

Do you have any of these so called "unwritten rules" in your family as well?  If so, feel free to leave a comment or two of some that you remember.

~Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment